On April 29, 2003, I posted the first article on Avant Music News. My goal was to establish a single place on the net where one could go to find information on all sorts of interesting, off-beat music, with no specific genre constraints. Today, we have a few thousand regular readers and followers. Despite the worldwide audience for this sort of music not being huge, I feel as if we’ve accomplished a modest goal by getting this many people together, and providing updates virtually every day for the last 13 years.
Today, there are many other places that you can go to find news, but our niche is that we put it all in one place, directing your attention to what we believe to be the most relevant and interesting articles and information. And we do provide our own reviews and interviews from time to time as well.
My thanks go out to our readers and contributors for making Avant Music News what it is in 2016, and allowing it to continue to grow.
Happy February. January 2016 was our most successful month yet, if you measure success in terms of web site traffic, social media coverage, and general interest. One of the side-effects of such “success” is that we have many, many more submissions for review coming in.
So, if you have or are thinking of submitting a recording for review, please hop on over to our new page, How to Get Reviewed for the scoop on our present situation, and a few pointers on how you can increase your chances of having one of us write about your music.
I just noticed that we passed 3000 likes on Facebook. We have a commensurate number of followers on Twitter (~2830 as of today).
While I’m not saying that this means much of anything other than 3000 people clicking on a button, it is a pretty cool milestone. About 5 years ago we had only 300 likes on Facebook, and I mentioned to a friend that this was probably as much as we could expect to get. After all, who in their right mind is interested in all of this weird music enough to actually want to receive information about it in their news feed?
I was only off by an order of magnitude, and the upwards trend has continued steadily.
So…please keep proving me wrong. I don’t mind at all.
Just a quick and non-sentimental note that we celebrate our 12th birthday today. I started AMN on April 29, 2003 as a way of providing information about types of interesting music that I thought was poorly represented in the media, or represented in a scattered fashion.
Thanks to all of you for helping build this site into what it has become today.
2014 was a record year for Avant Music News, in terms of postings, traffic, and overall busy-ness. We’re hoping 2015 continues in the same fashion.
Just a few quick notes regarding random topics:
- We have new page on our top menu that links to our annual “best of” lists (or just go here). These lists always prove to be some of our most popular material, and now they are easier to find.
- Last year we posted 2170 articles, of which 130 were original reviews, and 24 were original interviews.
- Our review backlog continues to grow, with about 25 review requests per published review. If you are a musician, label, or PR person, please don’t be discouraged if we don’t get back to you regarding your requests. There just isn’t enough time in the day. But please continue to send requests, as we do read and consider every single one.
- With respect to reviews, if you are a seasoned music reviewer who would like to contribute to Avant Music News, please drop me a line with a few writing samples. As noted above, we receive tons of promo material for review, and it would be nice to have a couple more people knocking out the reviews.
- Our current reviewers are both awesome and nice! Special thanks to Dan, Dan, Stephen, Monique, Vincent, and others for all of their valuable contributions.
In addition to being able to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, you can now do so on Google+. Head over here to subscribe to our page.
On April 29, 2003 I posted the first three articles on what would become Avant Music News. Eleven years later, we have 2475 followers on Facebook and 2100 on Twitter. We’ve published 18,260 articles, of which 234 are original reviews, and 25 are original interviews. We began doing reviews less than three years ago, and interviews about 7 months ago, so I am proud of these numbers.
Lots of thanks go out to the community. To the contributors for their input, to the artists for their updates, sharing their music, and thoughtful answers to interview questions, and to you, the reader. Somehow, all of you make getting up early in the morning each day to work on this site worthwhile.