This year, we published 133 reviews. Most are of new albums, but some cover reissues, books, or live performances. Needless to say, I’m grateful for our small cadre of dedicated reviewers, much less the many fantastic musicians who make all of this possible.
This list is in descending order of popularity, as measured by clicks on individual links to reviews. Unfortunately, the list does not reflect other measures of popularity, such as sharing on social media, but it is a reasonable representation of the reviews that garnered the most interest.
Also, entries on the list might be biased toward reviews that appear earlier in the year, as those have had more time to accumulate traffic. Still, most traffic to reviews arrives in the first week that the reviews are available, so this bias may be small.
- Dave Ball & Jon Savage – Photosynthesis (2016; Cold Spring Records)
- Bobby Previte – Mass (2016; RareNoiseRecords)
- John Butcher / Thomas Lehn / Matthew Shipp – Tangle (2016; Fataka)
- Anthony Braxton – 3 Compositions (EEMHM) 2011 (2016; Firehouse 12 Records)
- Helen Mirra & Ernst Karel – Maps and Parallels 41°N and 49°N at a Scale of Ten Seconds to One Degree (Shhpuma)
- Naima – Bye (2016; Cuneiform Records)
- Jennie Gottschalk – Experimental Music Since 1970 [Bloomsbury: 2016]
- Dan Weiss – Sixteen: Drummers Suite (2016; Pi Recordings)
- Merzbow / Keiji Haino / Balazs Pandi – An Untroublesome Defencelessness (2016; RareNoiseRecords)
- Thumbscrew – Convallaria (2016; Cuneiform Records)
- Vaults of Zin – Kadath (2016; Bandcamp)
- Christopher Hoffman – Silver Cord Quintet (2016)
- React – Music for Flute, Violin & Interactive Computer [Ravello RR7930]
- Pauline Oliveros, Roscoe Mitchell, John Tilbury, Wadada Leo Smith – Nessuno – [i angelica di angelica – IDA035]
- Bent Knee – Say So (2016; Cuneiform Records)
- Splinter Reeds – Got Stung [Splinter Records SR001]
- Tom Hamilton – City of Vorticity [Pogus 21085-2]
- Anders Berg & Tellef Øgrim – Kölen [Simlas]; Circadia – Advances and Delays [SOFA 551]
- Mats Gustafsson – This is From the Mouth (2016; Utech Records)
- Mary Halvorson Octet – Away With You (2016; Firehouse 12 Records)
You can browse our complete list of reviews here.