From Wadada Leo Smith:
Trumpeter/composer Pulitzer finalist Wadada Leo Smith performs three dates with his Golden Quartet – Smith with pianist Anthony Davis, bassist John Lindberg and drummer Pheeroan akLaff – in Philadelphia, Burlington and Brooklyn.
* Friday, June 5 at the Clef Club in Philadelphia, PA
8 p.m. performance. $15 general admission. Presented by Ars Nova Workshop. http://www.arsnovaworkshop.com/events
* Saturday, June 6 at the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival, Burlington, VT
10 p.m. performance. $25. http://discoverjazz.com/calendar-2/#!programmation=artist$wadada-leo-smith-s-golden-quartet/39
Wadada also has performances coming up in Chicago, NYC, Lisbon, Brent and Paris, France:
* Friday, June 26 & Saturday, June 27 with mEm3 at Constellation, Chicago
8:30 p.m. Tickets $15 – $20. Featuring Douglas Ewart & Mike Reed. http://www.constellation-chicago.com/event/855185-wadada-leo-smith-douglas-chicago/
* Saturday, July 11 with Aruan Ortiz at Vision Festival, NYC
7:30 p.m. at Historic Judson Memorial Church, 55 Washington Square S
* Saturday, August 8 Wadada Leo Smith’s Great Lakes Quartet, Jazz Em Agosto, Lisbon, Portugal
* August 9 – 18, Wadada Leo Smith – Banff Centre, Canada
* Sunday, September 6 with Muhal Richard Abrams Ensemble at Chicago Jazz Festival
* Saturday, October 10 with John Zorn and Milford Graves – NYC
* Friday, October 16 AACM NY Chapter 50th Annivesary Concert, NYC
* Sunday, October 18 Duo with Mike Reed, Penn de Jazz Festival, Brent, France
* Monday, October 19 Wadada Leo Smith’s Golden Quartet, Paris, France
* October 11 – 29, Exhibition of Wadada Leo Smith Ankhrasmation scores at Renaissance Society at the University of Chicago.
Renaissance Society at the University of Chicago, 5811 S Ellis Ave, 4th Floor, Chicago
* October 24 – Wadada Leo Smith’s Golden Quartet panel discussion and concert at Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, University of Chicago.
7 p.m. performance in 9th Floor Performance Penthouse at 915 E 60th Street, Chicago.
Preceding the concert, at 4 p.m., will be a panel conversation on improvisation in music. Both are free and open to the public.
* October 25 – Wadada Leo Smith Solo Concert and reception, University of Chicago
3 p.m. in the Renaissance Society Gallery at 5811 S Ellis Avenue, 4th Floor, Chicago. Free and open to the public.