Friday, Sept. 30, 11am
CalArts, Main Gallery Conference Room, 24700 McBean Pkwy, Valencia
CalArts Office of International Relations presents:
CalArts Plays Itself @ PACT Zollverein in Essen, Germany
Live U-Stream of the Performance Program:
* DARK FARE is an experimental performance trio comprising Chiara Giovando (film/video), Kristín Þóra Haraldsdóttir (music) and Stephanie Smith (music). DARK FARE utilizes live interactive processing with video and sound. The Trio’s instrumentation includes violin, viola, electronics and voice. The music merges extended technique on strings and vocals with traditional folk ballads, classical training and “dark noise.”
* Set within a simple world of spherical objects and light, Luminis Sphaera is a performance group that incorporates sound, movement, interactive technology and projection. The piece utilizes graphical scores that reference the elemental building blocks of the iron and steel industries central to PACT’s history. Luminis Sphaera is Archie Carey (music), Kerstin Hovland (film/video), Heather Lockie (music), Natalie Metzger (dance), Kalean Ung (theater).
* “2” is a performance for piano and multimedia projections composed by Milen Kirov (music). Utilizing animation and film elements created by Kerstin Hovland and Emilie Sabath, “2” employs the sounds of an electric piano together with prerecorded and live-triggered sounds.
From LA Times blogs
Friday, Sept. 30, 8pm
Zipper Hall, Colburn School, 200 S. Grand Ave., downtown LA
The Angel City Jazz Festival 2011 presents:
Edmar Castaneda Quartet and Nick Mancini Trio with Otmaro Ruiz
The festival tilts toward the sound of Latin America with a date with the young Colombia-born harpist Castaneda, whose unique sound carries a nimble, flamenco-jazz drive. Venezuelan pianist Ruiz should also throw sparks in a pairing with Mancini’s swinging vibraphone.
Saturday, Oct. 1, 5pm
John Anson Ford Amphitheatre, 2580 Cahuenga Blvd. East, LA
The Angel City Jazz Festival 2011 presents Global Jam:
Featuring a stacked roster of international talent including Downbeat’s “alto sax player of the year” Rudresh Mahanthappa, vocalist Dwight Trible, Paris-based trio The Kandinsky Effect, young pianist Tigran Hamasyan, the sprawling improvisations of Satoko Fujii and Natsuki Tamura and local jazz institution the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra.
Sunday, Oct. 2, 7pm
REDCAT, 631 West 2nd Street (in the Walt Disney Concert Hall complex), downtown LA
The Angel City Jazz Festival 2011 presents:
A night dedicated to the ongoing legacy of avant-garde composer Roscoe Mitchell, who will perform in a trio featuring drummer William Winant and fellow woodwind player James Fei. An expansive improvisor as part of Chicago’s groundbreaking Assn. for the Advancement of Creative Musicians scene, Mitchell will also be celebrated in a star-packed large ensemble led by percussionist Alex Cline, who will reinterpret For People in Sorrow, a piece Mitchell composed for the Art Ensemble of Chicago.
Saturday, Oct. 1, 4pm
CalArts, Wild Beast Outdoor Amphitheatre, 24700 McBean Pkwy, Valencia
Wild Beast Concert Series presents CalArts Capitol Jazz, an eclectic line-up of ten CalArts jazz bands in lively performances of their hottest repertoire. Each one will play one number: Latin, world-inflected, free, experimental, traditional, be-bop, fusion. For the past 22 years, Capitol Records, a subsidiary of EMI, has sponsored the annual CalArts Jazz CD, a selection of the most compelling performers and works coming out of the CalArts Jazz Program in the previous year, recorded and mastered in the legendary Capitol Records Studios in Hollywood.
Sunday, Oct. 2, 6pm
Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Leo S. Bing Theater, 5905 Wilshire Blvd., LA
SUNDAYS LIVE Chamber Music Series and World Festival of Sacred Music present:
LOS ANGELES ELECTRIC 8 with Javanese vocalist PENI CANDRA RINI
The LOS ANGELES ELECTRIC 8 is a chamber octet in which eight guitarists reclaim classical music for the electric guitar. Their latest program, Interlocking Textures, juxtaposes Indonesian gamelan with American minimalism. The LAE8 is: HUGO AGUAYO, TOM FARRELL, PHILIP GRAULTY, CHELSEA GREEN, KAI KUROSAWA, MARC NIMOY, FELIX SALAZAR, JOHNPAUL TROTTER.
- Angel City Jazz Festival 2011 (avantmusicnews.com)
- Roscoe Mitchell: In Search of the Super Musician (allaboutjazz.com)
- Rudresh Mahanthappa Interview (jazztruth blog)
- Fall arts picks: Jazz (latimesblogs.latimes.com)