The two shows at Le Poisson Rouge on Monday evening, though both rooted in classical music, could not have been more different. At the early show Polkastra, a virtuosic polka ensemble led by the violinist Lara St. John, with the composer Ronn Yedidia as its accordionist, played wildly idiosyncratic arrangements and original music from its new recording, “Apolkalypse Now.” A more restrained sort of virtuosity governed the late show, the Jack Quartet’s program of avant-garde string quartets in the Moving Sound Festival’s final concert.
Related articles by Zemanta
- ‘Genius Grant’ recipient violinist Leila Josefowicz performs BMC … – Bennington Banner (netnewmusic.net)
- Present Music announces lineup – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (netnewmusic.net)
- 2009-’10 SEASON Present Music Announces Lineup 4 of Season’s … – California Chronicle (netnewmusic.net)
- Music Review | ACME: Musical Illustrators of a Stylistic Alchemy (nytimes.com)
- A trio this entertaining gives no reason for guilt (thestar.com)