Happy February. January 2016 was our most successful month yet, if you measure success in terms of web site traffic, social media coverage, and general interest. One of the side-effects of such “success” is that we have many, many more submissions for review coming in.
So, if you have or are thinking of submitting a recording for review, please hop on over to our new page, How to Get Reviewed for the scoop on our present situation, and a few pointers on how you can increase your chances of having one of us write about your music.
I just noticed that we passed 3000 likes on Facebook. We have a commensurate number of followers on Twitter (~2830 as of today).
While I’m not saying that this means much of anything other than 3000 people clicking on a button, it is a pretty cool milestone. About 5 years ago we had only 300 likes on Facebook, and I mentioned to a friend that this was probably as much as we could expect to get. After all, who in their right mind is interested in all of this weird music enough to actually want to receive information about it in their news feed?
I was only off by an order of magnitude, and the upwards trend has continued steadily.
So…please keep proving me wrong. I don’t mind at all.
Just a quick and non-sentimental note that we celebrate our 12th birthday today. I started AMN on April 29, 2003 as a way of providing information about types of interesting music that I thought was poorly represented in the media, or represented in a scattered fashion.
Thanks to all of you for helping build this site into what it has become today.
Just a few quick notes regarding random topics:
- We have new page on our top menu that links to our annual “best of” lists (or just go here). These lists always prove to be some of our most popular material, and now they are easier to find.
- Last year we posted 2170 articles, of which 130 were original reviews, and 24 were original interviews.
- Our review backlog continues to grow, with about 25 review requests per published review. If you are a musician, label, or PR person, please don’t be discouraged if we don’t get back to you regarding your requests. There just isn’t enough time in the day. But please continue to send requests, as we do read and consider every single one.
- With respect to reviews, if you are a seasoned music reviewer who would like to contribute to Avant Music News, please drop me a line with a few writing samples. As noted above, we receive tons of promo material for review, and it would be nice to have a couple more people knocking out the reviews.
- Our current reviewers are both awesome and nice! Special thanks to Dan, Dan, Stephen, Monique, Vincent, and others for all of their valuable contributions.
On April 29, 2003 I posted the first three articles on what would become Avant Music News. Eleven years later, we have 2475 followers on Facebook and 2100 on Twitter. We’ve published 18,260 articles, of which 234 are original reviews, and 25 are original interviews. We began doing reviews less than three years ago, and interviews about 7 months ago, so I am proud of these numbers.
Lots of thanks go out to the community. To the contributors for their input, to the artists for their updates, sharing their music, and thoughtful answers to interview questions, and to you, the reader. Somehow, all of you make getting up early in the morning each day to work on this site worthwhile.
It has been a while since I wrote one of these general update posts. Nothing earth-shattering is going on in the world of AMN, but a few tidbits that you might be interested in.
I just finished updating the geographical listing of live music venues on out Live Music page. This is our attempt to provide an idea of where to go to hear all kinds of strange and wonderful tunes. It is obviously incomplete, but it is a constant work in progress. Drop us a line if we’re missing a venue you know of.
Our reviews keep chugging along, and I’m shooting for 10-15 per month in the future. One of our biggest problems (and it is a good one to have) is that we get far more promo material to review than we possibly can listen to, much less review. Our review staff keep plugging along with great effort, but if you or anyone you know would like to help out, have them contact me.
One of the pleasant surprises of the last year has been the popularity of our interviews. They have been some of the most-visited places on the entire site, and we only starting conducting interviews six months ago. Many of our interviewees have gone to great effort to provide very detailed answers to our questions. We have several more in the hopper, and hope to eventually provide five or more per month.
That’s all for now. Happy listening.