Mary Halvorson Solo! Fumio Yasuda/Uri Caine/Arditti String Quartet! ErstAeu Series: Kevin Parker/Vanessa Rossetto & Devin DiSanto/Nick Hoffman! Three from Cold Blue: Peter Garland, Michael Byron & Chas Smith! Chico Freeman & Heiri Kanzig!
Lydia Lunch Retrovirus! Alex Ward/Weasel Walter/James Sedwards! Joelle Leandre & Akosh S! Bill Horist! Four Plus from Dr. Chadbourne: Sunny Murray/Peter Kowald/Derek Bailey/Ed Cassidy/Charles Tyler/Toshinori Kondo..! Three More from Leap of Faith & The Great Divide!
8 + 8 Albums from Yusef Lateef! Bali 1928! Flora Purim & Airto Moreira! Willie Dixon! The Cramps! LPs from Paul Metzger! Francisco Lopez! Peter Brotzmann & Hamid Drake! Clifford Thorton! Roy Ayers! Blind Willie McTell! Fairport Convention! The Witch Box and Much More!
The DMG FREE Weekly In-Store Concert Series Continues With:
Sunday, September 6th: No In-store as Bruce will be out of town At the Chicago Jazz Fest & Attending an Important Wedding!
Sunday, September 13th:
6pm: JOSEPH LITTLEFIELD – Solo Acoustic Guitar!
Sunday, September 20th – Hosted by Chris Pitsiokos
6pm: DANIEL LEVIN & CHRIS PITSIOKOS – Cello & Alto Sax!
Sunday, September 27th & Monday & September 28th:
FONT FEST Comes to DMG! FONT is The Festival of New Trumpet 2015
Sunday, September 27th – Triple-Header – $10 for the Night! Curated by Aaron Shragge & Featuring:
7pm: THE SPIN QUARTET: Chad McCullough/Geof Bradfield/Clark Sommers/Dana Hall!
8pm: MATTERHORN: John Blevins/Jeff McLaughlin/Marty Kenney/Nathan Ellman-Bell!
9pm: LEO HARDMAN-HILL Group!
Monday, September 28th – Triple-Header – $10 for the Night
Curated by Nate Wooley and Featuring:
7pm: ILLIONAIRES: Jaimie Branch/Anthony Pirog/Jason Ajemian!
8pm: JOE MOFFETT – Solo Trumpet!
9pm: BRANDON LEWIS/BEN CARR/KEVIN THEODORE/DAVID FRAZIER, JR.
Source: Jazz Right Now.
Brooklyn-based drummer and composer Kate Gentile has been working in a number of innovative groups since graduating from the Eastman School of Music and settling in the city in 2011. Next week, Thursday to Saturday (September 10-12), she will be playing a three-night residency at Ibeam in Brooklyn.
Source: London’s Vortex.
Mon 07 September 2015
Warriors International Present: Freedom
8:00pm – 11:00pm @ Vortex Jazz Club
Known for its wild, totally free evenings of challenging and up-lifting improvisations which have consistently united a cross cultural and cross generational posse of players, Freedom pursues the promise of legendary associations like the AACM, the Black Artists’ Group and Sam Rivers’…
Thu 10 September 2015
8:00pm – 11:00pm @ Vortex
With John Edwards (bass), Steve Noble (drums). The greatest living exponent of free improvisation. Nearly half a century ago, he played alongside the drummer John Stevens and the guitarist Derek Bailey, in the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, tunnelling under contemporary American…
Wed 16 September 2015
8:00pm – 11:00pm @ Vortex
What happens when the visual is taken out of music? Do we hear music differently in the dark? How do musicians communicate without visual cues? Artistic Director, percussionist and composer Jackie Walduck, Adrian Lee, Ben Markland, James Risdon, Matt Wadsworth…
From the Bay Improviser:
Friday, September 4
Fri 9/04 7:30 PM Center for New Music [55 Taylor St SF]
A 35mm slideshow of found photographs from the Vernacular Visions archive featuring live improvised musical accompaniment by Jake Head, Jon Leidecker, Corey Hucks and Tania Chen.
Fri 9/04 8:00 PM Berkeley Arts [2133 University Avenue Berkeley]
Logan Hone & Greg Uhlmann
Fri 9/04 8:00 PM Turquoise Yantra Grotto [32 Turquoise Way SF]
Chris Brown- 6Primes- piano works in limit 13 just intonation
Stephen Parris/Daniel Schmidt- Gamelan Encinal- just slendro tuning
Six Pieces for Piano in 13-limit Just Intonation
by Chris Brown
Saturday, September 5
Sat 9/05 7:00 PM Gaspar Brasserie [185 Sutter St @ Kearny San Francisco CA 94109]
Terrence Brewer Trio will be playing this Saturday at Gaspar Brasserie.
Sunday, September 6
Sun 9/06 5:00 PM Actual Cafe [6334 San Pablo Avenue Oakland]
John Schott – electric guitar, Dan Seamans, double bass, and John Hanes, drums play original and imaginative music that moves from moody to exuberant, with swing and honesty.
Sun 9/06 5:00 PM UB RADIO SALON [Streamed live via http://www.DFM.NU
Sept. 6, 2015, 5-7PM UB RADIO SALON
streamed live via http://www.DFM.NU
Polly Moller and Amanda Chaudhary will be joining hosts Ninah and dAS of UB RADIO SALON for a live improv-experimental radio session! Streamed live via http://www.DFM.NU 5-7PM PDT.
Sun 9/06 7:30 PM Temescal Art Center [511 48th Street Oakland]
Doors That Only Open in Silence #9 (open participation improv workshop) featuring Matt Ingalls.
The monthly series of improvisation research at Temescal Arts Center continues. Bring your instrument or just come to listen. Small groups will be randomly assembled from submitted names, and there will be a full set by Matt Ingalls.
Tuesday, September 8
Tue 9/08 7:30 PM Omni Oakland Commons [4799 Shattuck Ave Oakland]
Active Music Series Presents: John Bischoff, Las Sucias, Miranda Hill
Wednesday, September 9
Wed 9/09 7:30 PM Canessa Gallery [708 Montgomery St SF]
For our first show of the Meridian Composer’s in Performance series at Canessa Gallery in North Beach, we are excited to present guitarist Henry Kaiser.
Thursday, September 10
Thu 9/10 7:00 PM SFEMF [See event for address]
SFEMF Opening Night at the Exploratorium
Thu 9/10 8:00 PM Luggage Store Creative Music Series @ 509 [509 Ellis Street @ Leavenworth San Francisco]
8pm: Tim DeCillis – Percussion, Hamir Atwal – Percussion, Alex Cohen – Guitar
9pm: Ori Barel – electronics
Thu 9/10 8:00 PM The General’s Residence [Fort Mason San Francisco]
FORT MASON CENTER PRESENTS — Lenora Lee Dance: Fire of Freedom
The General’s Residence — Sep 10th through Sep 20th
Thu 9/10 9:00 PM Hemlock Tavern [1131 Polk Street SF]
3 Leafs, Impuritan, and IMA
Friday, September 11
Fri 9/11 7:30 PM Center for New Music [55 Taylor St SF]
Switchboard Presents: Ambient Happy Hour & In C ReDo
Switchboard Presents launches their 2015-2016 concert season with an ambient happy hour curated by Danny Clay and an audience-participation performance of the In C ReDo.
Fri 9/11 8:00 PM Old First Concerts [1751 Sacramento St. SF]
Melanie Keller, flute; Adrienne Malley, oboe; Ginger Kroft, clarinet; Daniel Wood, horn; Charles Moehnke, bassoon
Avenue Winds presents an international program delving into the intricate and passionate woodwind quintets of Danish composer, Carl Nielsen, as well as Romanian composer, György Ligeti. The ensemble will also perform Jean Francaix‘s Quatuor à vents as well as additional selections featuring local San Francisco Bay Area composers.
Fri 9/11 8:00 PM SFEMF [See Announcement for address SF]
SFEMF Night Two at Brava Theater
Lawrence English and John Chantler
– Hitomi Honda & Karl Larson (Sept. 5)
– Guy Mintus (Sept. 6)
– Vox Temporum curated by Brian Erickson & Lester St. Louis featuring Julia Seeholzer (Sept. 6)
– Feathered Serpent Productions presents a celebration of the music and art of Paul J. Gallagher curated by Ella Ackerman (Sept. 9)
– The Westerlies (Sept. 10)
– Andrew MacNair presents the Elvis Zapp Urban Film Festival (Sept. 10)
– Self-Imposed Exile NYC premiere & recording release (Sept. 11)
– Gabriel Zucker presents The Delegation (Sept. 11)
– Tentative: Claus-Steffen Mahnkopf Symposium (Sept. 12)
– Mick Rossi’s Outliers series returns with John King (Sept. 12)
– Zach Seely’s (con)temporary (in)sights series featuring *Miranda Cuckson (Sept. 12)
*(please consider this show for listings only)
– Ensemble Dissonanzen: Opening Performance of Residency at Spectrum (Sept. 13)
– Kristen McGuire (Sept. 13)
– Ensemble Dissonanzen Residency at Spectrum continues (Sept. 17)
– Jen Kutler presents Marshall Moran (Sept. 17)
– Stuart Breczinksi’s Title Pending Series (Sept. 18)
– Ensemble Dissonanzen Residency at Spectrum concludes (Sept. 18)
– Flin van Hemmen’s Canyons Jazz Series (Sept. 19)
– Hans Tammen’s Dark Circuits Series featuring Adam Matta (Sept. 19)
– Ramin Arjomand’s Reinterpretations Series (Sept. 20)
– Random Access Music’s (RAM) Fundraiser (Sept. 20)
– Ambient Chaos presented by PAS Musique returns! Spectrum’s longest running series. (Sept. 21)
– Symposium: Meeting the future with composer/pianist Oscar Edelstein (Argentina) (Sept. 23)
– HAY FEVER on their East Coast tour (Sept. 23)
– Pietro Russino (Sept. 24)
– Conor Hanick (Sept. 24)
– David Kalhous curated by Michael Vincent Waller (Sept. 25)
– Spectrum Friday Prog presented by Jeremy Nesse (Sept. 25)
– Women’s History Event presented by Christy Ellis-Clegg (Sept. 26)
– Late Night with The Brothers Balliett (Sept. 26)
– Soundscapes Series curated by Cornelius Dufallo & Patrick Derivaz featuring Glenn Cornett (Sept. 27)
– Manhattan Review Poetry Reading hosted by Philip Fried (Sept. 27)
– Marilyn Nonken & Randall Scarlata (Sept. 28)
– Jason Hardink, Special solo appearance (Salt Lake City) (Sept. 30)